What Mamaearth Sunscreen Claims
Mamaearth’s Ultra- Light Indian Sunscreen with SPF 50 is especially curated for Indian skin tones and Indian weather. It provides up to 6 hours of protection against harsh UVA & UVB rays. It doesn’t dry out your skin and keeps it moisturized. Natural ingredients in it such as turmeric and orange oil treat tan and keep your skin glowing without making it oily or greasy. Mamaearth’s Ultra- Light Indian Sunscreen is free from all harmful toxins such as paraben, mineral oil, silicone etc. It is suitable for all skin types.
Price and Availability
Understanding Mamaearth Sunscreen Ingredient list
- UV Filters used: Mamaearth sunscreen contains Avobenzone (a photo-unstable UVA filter), Octocrylene (a photo-stable UVB filter which increases the stabilization of Avobenzone), Bemotrizinol (a highly photo-stable water-resistant UVA and UVB filter), Parsol MCX (a water resistant photo-unstable UVB filter), Titanium dioxide (a photo-unstable UVB filter & minor UVA filter), Butyloctyl Salicylate (added as a stabilizer to increase the stability of unstable UV filters).
- Doesn’t contain any heavy oils except few essential oils like carrot seed oil, canaga oil & orange oil. I don’t prefer any essential oils in sunscreen as they are photo-sensitive & get oxidize easily. But since these are present at the bottom, so I can still bear with it.
- Other than that sunscreen contains skin conditioning & softening agents, fatty acids & their esters which are fine to enhance absorption & stabilizing the formula. The only downside is these are not fungal acne safe ingredients.
My Take on Mamaearth Sunscreen ingredients
Overall, the UV filters used are quite amazing & capable of protecting from both UVA and UVB rays. Stabilizers used help in stabilizing the unstable UV filters. The only issue is the sunscreen has essential oils which don’t serve any other purpose apart from fragrance. I really liked the fact that sunscreen doesn’t contain the heavy silicone, so suitable for acne prone skin.
PS: I don’t have an issue with silicones if present in the skincare products as they help in sealing in moisture. But when sunscreen & makeup products contain heavy & large number of silicones, they might clog the pores. Thus giving breakouts if not cleansed properly.
My experience with Mamaearth Sunscreen
It comes in a good plastic tube packaging which can be squeeze lightly to take the required product on hands. The Tube opening is of medium size and the product doesn’t spill. Hence no wastage.
The texture is lotion based which is quite creamy and very easy to spread on face and blend. The texture doesn’t settle down quickly and thus requires time to blend in.
How Mamaearth sunscreen works on skin?
- Its actually a light weight sunscreen as per the brand’s claim & doesn’t feel heavy on skin post application. This means product absorption is good.
- It takes time to blend in and that’s why you have to keep massaging unless its completely absorbed into skin. Yeah, I know time taking task!!!
- The sunscreen has good moisturizing effect & my oily skin didn’t feel the need of a moisturizer with it.
- It feels oily & sticky on skin during application but after 5-10 minutes it settles down to a semi matte finish. I didn’t face any sweating or stickiness with it in normal/winter weather conditions. However, in humid weather, my oily skin didn’t like it much due to stickiness & continuous sweating. Its tough to wear it outdoors on hot summer day as it gives a lot of sweating.
- It does leave a small amount of white cast but that lasts only for a minute and after that skin looks exactly of its natural color.
- The best part about sunscreen is that it doesn’t irritated my eyes which means the amount of essential oils might be in very less %.
- The reapplication is very easy as the sunscreen doesn’t ball up at all. Thus, it also act as a perfect base for makeup.
- Doesn’t irritate the active acne on skin. But during my fungal acne days, I totally skipped using it as I was very skeptic of any kind of reaction with it.
- I have a dry body type and it worked as a perfect body sunscreen for me. 80gm of sunscreen for Rs 500 is quite a huge quantity & thus you can use it on body religiously without any worries. For me its a perfect pocket friendly body sunscreen.
How effective is Mamaearth Sunscreen in direct sun light?
Aong with easy application & comfort to skin, a good sunscreen should also have high photo-stability to protect your skin against UV rays for a longer period of time. The Mamaearth sunscreen has the stable UVA & UVB filter – Bemotrizinol (Tinosorb S) & also good amount of stabilizers to protect the unstable UV filters. Hence the sunscreen is very effective to reduce the both UVA & UVB damage while exposure to sun rays making it suitable to wear outdoors. However, don’t expect a tan free skin. No sunscreen can ever guarantee that.
Tinosorb S is a water insoluble filter & therefore has water-resistant properties which means the sunscreen will stay effective to some extent while sweating. However, as I told previously it gives a lot of sweating to oily skin people like me, so you should apply it every 2 hours to protect your skin. The best way of increasing a sunscreen efficacy is by covering your face with a cloth to filter the UV rays.
How to use Mamaearth sunscreen?
Post cleansing & basic skincare routine (if any), take a dollop amount or big coin size amount and apply it in the form of dots on all over face & neck. Massage well till completely absorbed into skin. Follow up with a compact if you feel any kind of sweating to increase the effectiveness.
This is how my skin looks post applying mamaearth sunscreen and after 1 minute of the application.
Why Mamaearth sunscreen is a worthy buy?
- Light weight lotion
- Leaves minimal white cast
- Good absorption
- Leaves a moisturizing effect on skin
- Awesome UVA & UVB filters hybrid formula
- A budget friendly body sunscreen
- Doesn’t irritate eyes
- Non – irritating hybrid sunscreen for acne prone & sensitive skin
- Didn’t break me out
- Sits well under makeup
- Doesn’t ball up on massaging, so reapplication is easy
Why mamaearth sunscreen is not a worthy buy?
- Not suitable for oily skin in humid weather & summer season
- Leads to sweating on oily skin, so can wear off easily
- Contains essential oils
- Takes time to blend in
- Doesn’t give a proper matte finish
Since Mamaearth sunscreen is a budget friendly non irritating face & body sunscreen, I would highly recommend it to all skin types except oily facial skins in summer season. However, this would serve as a perfect moisturizing facial sunscreen for oily skin people too in spring & winter season. I won’t recommend it for active acne skin having bacterial & fungal acne.
Pro Tip: Sunscreens tends to clog pores and to avoid the same, it is mandatory to clean your face with a proper foaming face wash during night time. Double cleansing is also an effective method to remove every bit of sunscreen before going to sleep.
Do ask your questions in comment section if I have missed anything or in case you have any queries.
Follow me on Instagram for crisp reviews – @thespokenreviewer